Regular visiting guidelines resume
Northumberland County – Tuesday, August 22, 2023—A COVID-19 outbreak confirmed on Monday, August 14 in Northumberland Hills Hospital’s 1B Restorative Care Unit has been declared over.
Effective today, August 22, regular visiting guidelines have resumed for all with the exception of patients in isolation for a COVID-19 infection.
A reminder that visitors have access to free masks on entry to the hospital and NHH’s Community Mental Health offices and will be expected to keep their medical-grade mask on at all times (or over top of their personal cloth mask) while inside, unless eating or drinking in designated areas. No eating or drinking is permitted by visitors in patient rooms, due to the fact that masks would need to be removed.
The following is a summary of the infection prevention and control measures that remain in place at NHH:
• Daily self-screening by staff for COVID-19 symptoms – All individuals entering the hospital for work must pre-screen for symptoms and refrain from entering the building or Community Mental Health offices in the event symptoms develop.
• Mandatory use of appropriate PPE in clinical and patient care areas – All staff, physicians, midwives, and essential caregivers/visitors are expected to pay strict attention to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements throughout the hospital. NHH’s masking policy remains in effect for all clinical and patient care areas. Visitors continue to have access to free masks at entry to the hospital and NHH’s Community Mental Health offices and will be expected to keep their masks on at all times while inside clinical areas.
• No eating or drinking is permitted by visitors in patient rooms – This is due to the fact that masks would need to be removed.
• Mandatory vaccination of staff – All staff and physicians are required to be up to date with their vaccines (two doses); booster vaccines continue to be distributed to further reduce the risk of infection and spread.
• Strict adherence to thorough hand hygiene practices – Strict adherence to thorough hand hygiene will continue to be reinforced.
• Enhanced environmental cleaning – Enhanced cleaning, with a focus on high touch surfaces and common spaces.
• Proactive communication – Public notices are continually updated across NHH’s communication channels, including doorways within/leading to the hospital, to promote awareness of the presence of COVID-19 and the importance of vigilance with PPE.
For details on NHH’s Visiting Guidelines, expectations, and answers to other Frequently Asked Questions, please see our website.
Updates on NHH’s COVID-19 status will continue to be communicated through the hospital’s website and related social media channels. Community outbreak information will be found on the HKPRDHU’s recently updated, which provides a high-level assessment of local respiratory virus Respiratory Diseases Dashboard activity.
For more information, please visit nhh.ca or follow us on Facebook @northumberlandhillshosp or Twitter @NorHillsHosp.